About this book
The efficient analysis of polar and charged metabolites in biological samples remains a huge challenge in the field of metabolomics. Over the past years, novel mass spectrometry-based analytical tools have been developed to enable the sensitive and efficient profiling of polar ionogenic metabolites in various biological samples. This book gives the reader a comprehensive overview of these recent technological developments.
Topics covered include the use of chemical labelling strategies for allowing the analysis of polar metabolites using reversed-phase liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry (RPLC-MS) and the latest methodological developments in RPLC-MS, hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography (HILIC)-MS and ion-pair LC-MS approaches. Attention is also paid to developments in nano-LC-MS and capillary electrophoresis–mass spectrometry methods specifically for profiling polar metabolites in small volume biological samples. The utility of ion-mobility MS and NMR spectroscopy will also be outlined. Sample preparation is the key part in the analytical workflow employed for metabolomics. Therefore, ample emphasis will be given on recent solid-phase extraction and solid-phase micro-extraction methods. Finally, analytical techniques for chiral metabolic profiling will also be considered.
Discussing the state-of-the-art of the proposed topics in one single book for probing the polar metabolome, using relevant examples, is unique and needed in the metabolomics field. This book has relevance and appeal to an international audience of analytical and biomedical researchers in industry and academia.
- Probing the Polar Metabolome – Stability of Energy Metabolites
- State-of-the-art LC-MS Approaches for Probing the Polar Metabolome
- Chemical Labelling and Derivatization Strategies for Mass Spectrometry-based Metabolomics of Polar and Charged Compounds
- Ion-Pair Reversed Phase LC-MS Approaches for Metabolomics
- HILIC-MS Systems for Metabolomics
- SPE Systems for Metabolomics
- Advances in SPME for Metabolomics
- State-of-the-art CE-MS Approaches for Metabolomics
- Utility of Ion-Mobility Mass Spectrometry for Metabolomics
- NMR Approaches for Probing the Polar Metabolome
- High-throughput MS Approaches for Profiling Polar and Charged Metabolites
- Nanoscale Analytical Approaches for Metabolomics
- Analytical Strategies for Single Cell Live Metabolomics
- Chiral Metabolomics