About this book
With the need to combat emerging infectious diseases, research around antimicrobial biomaterials and their applications is booming. This book provides the field with a much-needed fundamental overview of the science, addressing the chemistry of a broad range of biomaterial types, and their applications in the biomedical industry.
Materials covered include polymers, from those with inherent antimicrobial activity to those that release antimicrobial agents, antimicrobial ceramics and inorganic compounds, such as metal based antimicrobial additives, and the developing field of biomimetic materials, are discussed. Surfaces, coatings and adhesives are covered, whilst the applications of these antimicrobial materials in biomedical applications, from catheters to orthopaedics, dentistry to ophthalmology, are explored.
Edited by international leaders and with contributions from the best in the field, this book is the go-to resource for graduates and researchers in biomaterials science, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, and materials and polymer chemistry.
- Antimicrobial materials- An overview
- Introduction to microbes and infection in the modern world
- Controlled Release of Antimicrobial Small Molecules
- Biomimetic Antimicrobial Polymers
- Synthetic Cationic Water-Soluble Antimicrobial Polymers: An Alternative to Conventional Small Molecule Antibiotics
- Focal Drug Delivery for Management of Oral Infections
- Photodynamic Antimicrobial Polymers
- Antimicrobial Biomaterials in Ophthalmology
- Metal Based Antimicrobials
- Antimicrobial quaternary ammonium polymers for biomedical applications
- Polymer-Drug Conjugates for Treating Local and Systemic Fungal Infections
- Methods for Sterilization of Biopolymers for Biomedical Applications
- Recent Advances in Antimicrobial Hydrogels
- Catheters with Antimicrobial Surface
- Dendrimers and Hyper Branched Polymers as Antimicrobial Agents
- Antimicrobial Activities of Fatty acids and Derivatives
- Overview of Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and Nanoparticulate Drug Delivery Approach to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance