Jump to main content
Jump to site search

Issue 30, 2016
Previous Article Next Article

Isoprene polymerization mediated by vanadium-[ONNO] complexes

Author affiliations

Abstract

A series of vanadium complexes bearing dianionic tetradentate amine-bisphenolate [ONNO] ligands, V([double bond, length as m-dash]O)X[ONNOMe] (X = Cl (1); OiPr (2)), VCl2[ONNOMe] (3) and V(OiPr)2[ONNOR] (R = Me (4), tBu (5), Cl (6)), displaying various electronic and steric properties have been prepared. The molecular structures of two of these complexes, namely V[ONNOR](OiPr)2 with R = tBu (5) or Cl (6), are reported. Activated with dialkylmagnesium, all complexes lead to modest isoprene homo-polymerization activities at 50 °C. Quantitative polymerizations were observed using 4 and 6 as pre-catalysts combined with AliBu3. The resulting polyisoprene microstructure was composed of ca. 70% 3,4 enchainments, the remaining 30% 1,4 enchainments being a mixture of cis and trans stereoisomers. 6 leads to a more active catalyst than 4. β-Hydride abstraction occurs during the reaction.

Graphical abstract: Isoprene polymerization mediated by vanadium-[ONNO] complexes

Back to tab navigation

Supplementary files

Publication details

The article was received on 08 Jun 2016, accepted on 24 Jun 2016 and first published on 27 Jun 2016


Article type: Paper
DOI: 10.1039/C6DT02288J
Citation: Dalton Trans., 2016,45, 12069-12077
  •   Request permissions

    Isoprene polymerization mediated by vanadium-[ONNO] complexes

    Y. Phuphuak, F. Bonnet, L. Vendier, C. Lorber and P. Zinck, Dalton Trans., 2016, 45, 12069
    DOI: 10.1039/C6DT02288J

Search articles by author

Spotlight

Advertisements